Friday, August 14, 2009

FIN254 Project for Summer 2009

The main purpose of this project is to analyze the impact of disclosed news on the price of a stock. The time period for the analysis is from January 2007 to June 2009. Sometimes you would see price moving positively (or negatively) with positive (or negative) news as expected. Some other times you would see price not moving as expected rather going to the opposite direction (or consolidating) because the news was probably out before it was disclosed. Carefully review such news impacts on the price movements of your stock and put your findings accordingly.

You must do this job using the format and guidelines prescribed in the word document file named “Project Instructions.doc” made available to help you complete the project. Three stocks have been assigned to each student and the assessment would be done for each student individually. If anyone of you don’t see your id in the assigned stock list, inform me immediately.

Please download all the resource files from the project folder available within the FIN254 folder link above. Same resource files are also available on the resource drive accessible from the on-campus computer labs.

Before you start the project work please open and verify all the resource files to check whether there is any problem opening/accessing them. You need to prepare three excel files (one per stock) for the project. Please review the sample file (Sample-ABBANK.xlsx) by checking each worksheet to understand the nature of the job you are assigned to do for the project. You need to prepare three such project files for the three assigned stocks.

Send the completed project files (three excel files, one for each stock assigned to you) as three attachments by the due date 25th of August, 2009 (Tuesday). That means you may send your completed project files earlier if you can finish early. Make sure to include your email address too, so that you have a copy of the sent email. Please refer to the guideline provided in the word document file for detailed format of your email to be sent to me.

Before sending me the email please recheck your data and files minutely. I won’t be able to accommodate your request of accepting a modified version next time. And please don’t send me multiple emails to make sure I get it!

Please wait at least one day for email acknowledgment from me as a confirmation of my receipt of your email. If you don’t receive my acknowledgment by one day then resend the email to me and notify my TA. Please keep checking your email frequently around that period because I will send you an email if I find significant problem in your work/files.

If you have any question then you may see me at my office during the office hours or send me an email or post it in my blog. Please READ all the instructions carefully before sending your project as email attachments. Check your work carefully before sending it to me. I would not be able to accept a modified version second time.

Thank you and wish you best of luck for the project.

No comments: